Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Chore Chart

I'd like to say my darling children are little angels who see me doing cooking, cleaning etc and ask, what can I do to help?  Unfortunately, for the most part they are happy to watch me do it for them.

So after thinking about it for a while I came up with a chore chart that will suit our family.  It has to be something that my 4 year old can do, as well as my 6 and 8 years olds. and this is additional to making their beds, tidying their rooms and other responsibilities they have for their own things (eg. packing and unpacking their school bags).

So, they are each assigned to a series of jobs for a week, and then it rotates:

1.  Help prepare dinner, help fold clean laundry, keep the sink top clean and tidy in the kids bathroom

2. Feed the fish, water the plants, sweep under the breakfast bar, vacuum lounge on the weekend.

3. Set the table and help clear up, empty the dishwasher, help with dishes.

It seems to be working, with a little gentle reminding, and Ive noticed my eldest is really keen to do her chores. And I think it is important for them to be contributing members of our household.

What do you do in your family?  Any other ideas?

No comments: