Thursday, June 24, 2010

Australia's new PM

wow. woke up this morning to the news that Julia Gillard has gone up against Kevin Rudd for his leadership.

DISCLAIMER: the following opinions are my own and I dont mean to offend anyone. Normally I dont take any interest in politics so I probably dont know much :)

Of course its all played out on tv (for hours) and its just been announced she has secured the leadership of Australia.

Im not a big one for politics but I think the tactics have been a bit underhanded. I must say, I didn't really mind Kevin Rudd as a PM, but thats just my opinion.

I guess what bothers me is this country is supposed to be a democracy and the people of this country never got to vote.  They voted Kevin Rudd in the last election and Julia Gillard supports his policies.... doesnt make much sense to me.

There is a lot of talk about how historic today is for Australia with their first female prime minister but Ive been there before when Helen Clark was NZ's prime minister.. and quite frankly - they are all politicians, no matter what the gender.  Yes, women should be in those positions Im all for that, but it would have been nice to see her voted in by the country at the next election.

Anyway, we'll see how it plays out. Good luck to her.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Ah yes. I feel EXACTLY the same as you about that whole episode. If K.Rudd couldn't trust her to have his back when she was his Deputy, then how can Australia trust her now she is PM? Hmm...We'll see how it goes, anyway.

Funnily enough, none of the Aussies I have discussed this with have given two hoots...and they were all a bit confused as to why I cared so much when I don't even get a vote - lol!!