Monday, October 11, 2010

School closed for rain

Everything in Aussie is bigger and scarier than NZ...  the spiders (massive and deadly ones too) the lizards, the big banana and pineapple (lol) and the RAIN!!!  I mean, seriously, coming from NZ we have more than our fair share of wet weather, especially with having lived in the Waikato, this rain is SO INTENSE!!!

When it rains in Queensland its not a shower - its a deluge!  It has rained for the best part of three weeks (unusual) and last night it literally poured down all night.  This morning our back yard had a little bit of water hanging around but within 10 minutes it was pretty much filling up fast.

backyard flooding



And school is closed!  The streets around our school are flooded and Ive heard people are getting stuck in the water.  Our school is up a big hill but the road leading to is it flooded. Everytime its sounds like the rain is easing off a couple of minutes later it intensifies again.

So we've declared a pyjama day in our house.  Hubby has gone to work and fingers crossed the trains will be running tonight when he wants to come home!

We are so lucky to live in a nice secure house on a bit of a hill.

Now Im off to put something yummy and warm in the crockpot for dinner ... its that kind of day.

9 comments:

A Christy Productyion said...

Jealous!! I wish I could stay home. I got out of bed 25 mins later then usual because the rain made me stay in bed.

Gail said...

Could've done with that this morning as we faced our first day of term ... walking the walking school bus in the rain/hail!! Spring is such a tease!

Renee said...

Ahhh...I know!!! I can't believe this rain. The most intense for the longest period we have seen since we've been here. Crazy with a capital C! We are baking up a storm (no pun intended) because it keeps the small one occupied...but it might have a rather negative effect on the waistlines ;) Hope you all stay dry!

Christine said...

Wow! That is crazy rain! We had rain here in Hamilton today, but it was nothing like your rain! I hope you all enjoy the pajama day today! :)

Lisa said...

I went to IKEA as did half of brisbane... but the girlies played in the playground while i wandered aimlessly and chatted with a friend. The rain was a distant memory until it was time to leave. I cannot believe how wet it is. AND its meant to keep raining for a few weeks yet! EEK

Deb said...

Oh my gosh, that rain is incredible! Mind you, it's been so cold in the Waikato today, that I would rather have rain I think!

Laura (Moags) said...

Wow - was just watching that on the news. Hope you are safe and dry.

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness, you weren't kidding about that rain!! Look at that!!! I mean, it's great that you're getting it (does your area face water shortages like other parts of Australia?) but at the same time obviously the dry ground can't handle it.

Thanks for your lovely email :o) Will be keeping your parents in my prayers also! Jennifer xo

Nadiah said...

Yeah, the rain was just mad wasn't it? I do hope those rumours about a repeat of the big flood don't pan out. I don't know if our place is in a good position if it floods again.