Saturday, December 4, 2010

Irish Stew

I have an Irish friend, her name is Sinead.. I think Sinead is a very cool name for an Irish friend.

Everyone needs an Irish friend called Sinead, because she sounds very cool when she speaks, she's a laugh and a half, her daughter is one of my daughter's BFFs and she provided me with a great Irish Stew recipe!

A few weeks ago she gave me this recipe and I have made it 3 times already!! Its super easy, the ingredients are easy to come by and its so hearty.. a total comfort food. I think it will be a bit of a winter staple in our house. Its easy to enjoy it here too at the moment because the weather is CRAP!!! (although warm... is it weird eating stew in singlets and shorts?)

Im sure Sinead won't mind if I share it here too....

Sinead's Irish Stew

1kg/2lb neck of lamb ( I actually use 3 lamb shanks and they work perfectly!)

2 large onions, sliced

1kg/2lb potatoes, sliced

2 large carrots, sliced

2-3 tbsp finely chopped parsley

400ml/ 14floz lamb stock or water  ( I have used water and it works fine.. not sure where to find lamb stock)

salt and pepper

Layer the meat and vegetables in a deep saucepan or flameproof casserole dish.

Sprinkle over half the parsley and season between each layer with salt and pepper. Finish with a layer of potatoes.

Pour over stock or water and cover tightly with a piece of buttered greaseproof paper . Cover this with foil and a tightly fitting lid.

Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1 1/2  - 2 hours either on the hob or in the preheated oven, until meat is tender, liquid well absorbed and stew is rich and pulpy.

I also add peas (I have a thing about greens!).

I used a stock pot the first and third time I made it and the first time managed to cook it to the bottom of the pot. The third time I doubled the liquid... and just avoided doing it again!  The second time I used the slow cooker.

And sorry I dont have a picture...

EnjoY!

4 comments:

jacksta said...

Sounds yum!

Sue said...

Sounds tasty and close to my stew, well my MIL's stew. We use beef though, and put it in the slow cooker. Comes out nice and fuss free.

outdoor fountains said...

What a great review! I wanted to get one immediately after reading your review. You mentioned that Safety 1st sent you two Complete Air Convertible Car Seats with Air Protect at no charge, to try out and keep; I was wondering how can I get one to try out as well? Can you provide advise and insights? Thank you!

Backlinks said...

Keep focusing on your blog. I love how we can all express our feelings. This is an extremely nice blog here :)