Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sharing some tree love...

Our Christmas tree went up on Sunday, after much deliberation and delaying I suddenly decided to put it up and quickly threw some decorations at it.. (yep, it looks like rudolph threw up the decorations over our tree) and the control freak in me didn't let the kids help...mean mum huh...

Around the world of blogs I have been reading and seeing some beautiful christmas trees, with gorgeous matching decorations, divine colour themes and they look amazing...and I dream that one day we might have a tree like that too.


from here


However, as I grabbed our decorations out of the boxes and threw them at our tree I couldnt help feeling a bit of nostalgia creep in.. and pride..and floods of memories.

You see, our tree is not fancy. Its a fake tree, $40 from Big W. Its not decorated with matching decorations or any particular colour scheme...
tree 


but it is a PERFECT tree for our family. It is laden with gorgeous memories and filled with love (and sorry its not a photo of the whole tree.. my sewing table is behind it and its a bit..um.. messy..)

Every year we buy our children a special decoration each... like this one
tractor dec


Here is my son's addition to our tree this year, sitting proudly at the front. It is the first thing he has ever sewn. He made it at sewing club at school ... when all his friends were participating in Ozkick, he was adamant he wanted to do sewing. And he did a great job!
ben decoration


And my eldest daughter made this cool gingerbread man... she wakes up very early every morning and Ive noticed my box of felt has disappeared into her room.. where she happily stitches away at litttle projects while the rest of us sleep.
keeley decoration


My baby's first decoration, her first christmas when she was an itty bitty 3 week old.
elise first dec


A beautiful decoration given to me the first year I taught Christmas stockings with a friend at our playgroup.
stkg dec


A heart made by my sister for my daughter for her second Christmas..
keedec

And handpainted decorations we bought in the beautiful town of Montville, in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland

decs

And around the house we have little Christmas touches...a nativity scene that I made from a panel from Spotlight, I love this because it can't be broken and my kids play with it non stop.. it has its own special table this year.

nativity scene


Our stockings hung in the entranceway.. and constantly falling down...
stockings


Last year I asked my Dad to make me this cool stocking tree!! I am wishing it was here right now.. not in NZ
stocking tree




So our eclectic tree and house might not be fronting any House and Garden magazine but I love how it reflects us and our family... full of memories,  a bit messy and laden with love.

Link up a blog post about your tree here and share what makes your tree special...and I apologise that you have to go to a separate link to do it... grrr... wordpress!!!

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...

19 comments:

Widge said...

love your tree. very very similar to ours :)

Ninotchka said...

What are you talking about, your tree, its decorations and its stories are Ace!! Still working on my stockings - I want to make really nice ones I'll be proud to put up every year that become heirlooms and part of our family lore (I can see you get where I'm coming from). Thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful decorations (gooooooo your son, you never know he might end up a fashion designer?)

Sarah said...

Oh your tree is so perfect! We have the same - a fake one that goes up every year, doesn't drop needles or aggravate some members of the family hay-fever. The decorations are lovingly wrapped away in tissue and boxed up after each Christmas and when they are unwrapped it's like Christmas Day come early with so many memories.

I am so impressed with your children's sewing too. We have got the girls some sewing stuff for Christmas as they are keen (perhaps they'll teach me!).

Have a wonderful time x

Leonie said...

Yes Sarah, we have a fake one for the same reason and we, I mean, I lovingly wrap them all in tissue paper too.
I am very proud of my children's sewing. Its lovely to see them enjoying something that I also love.. although I have let the teachers at school show them the basics :)

Leonie said...

Yes, Notchka, thats exactly what I told my hubby about our son. He wasn't convinced .. lol.
I totally get it, about the heirlooms and family lore.

Leonie said...

thanks Widge.

Gail said...

We have the same decoration tradition. I look forward to getting a bit more organized about it all this coming weekend. I feel about ready to face it now!!!

Those home and garden trees are lovely - but get boring very quickly i think!

jacksta said...

I love your tree way better than the first (perfect) pic. All that meaning..you can't buy that a decoration boutique store. I have the exact same nativity scene this year! Love the stockings too. What a warm and wonderful Christmas memories you are creating for your lovelies. :)

Sue said...

I love your tree. I is a lot like mine. I didn't put up so many ornaments this year but usually it is filled with wonderful ornaments my son's made and gave to me over the years. It is not a fancy tree either is a very fake. LOL But it is filled with love just like your's. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas.

William Garnet said...

That was certainly to the point. Thanks.

teens lolitas free6 said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS.|sylarsgirl23|

teens lolitas free6 said...

twitter would eff up on christmas|flyguytray|

Fishing said...

merry christmas my friend

Joanne said...

Happy Yuletide!

網頁設計 said...

hooray; your writings on theater and writing much missed!

Leda said...

Blah Blah what is this Poop

enlarge penis said...

Amazing blog layout here. Was it hard creating a nice looking website like this?

Backlinks said...

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply back as I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to know wheere u got this from. thanks

Phone Number said...

Happy to see your blog as it is just what I¡¯ve looking for and excited to read all the posts.