Saturday, January 22, 2011

bringing the past into the present

One thing that has resounded with me watching the copious media footage of the floods in these parts is that nearly everyone interviewed, who have lost everything, say the hardest part is losing their photos.

I have always LOVED photos and I remember on our journey to Australia worrying about something happening to my hundreds..(maybe thousands?) of photos and negatives... because sometimes containers fall off ships in transit (hence the insurance you pay..in case they need to salvage it..eek!)

image from thecontainerplace.co.uk

So this time I was prepared. All of our wedding photos, my eldest daughter's first two years and my son's newborn piccys are on negatives.



I picked up this nifty (and pretty cheap at ALDI) negative scanner.


Its so easy to use. You just clip your negative strip in the holder and pass it through. The little screen shows you the picture and you press OK and it saves it to a camera memory stick. Which I then just plug into the laptop and voila!! Digital copies of our photos!! Yippee!!



Now of course they aren't as high resolution as the photos we currently take but they are pretty good and if all else is lost they will be precious! Including this one of special people...

My special Uncle Jack (who passed away last weekend) and my beautiful Aunty Nita (who was waiting for him in Heaven).

And the best bit is, I can now crop them, play around with them, etc.

I just need to learn one thing - constantly watch for dust!!! quite a few have little specks on them so I'll need to redo those.

Im now going to save it all to the external hard drive for extra insurance.

I LOVE technology!!! Now the scanner is packed in my suitcase because apparently I am making a start on my Mum's and sister's negatives...lol...

13 comments:

Fiona said...

That's such a good idea. I've scanned mine in and the important family photos I recently made into a book and sent copies to family members so that someone will always have them.

Little Kiwi Chick said...

Oh wow, I need to get one of those!!!

One of my worst nightmares would be to lose photos, also. And having moved overseas myself, I too worried about the container falling off the ship!!!

All our wedding photos are on negatives and I have always wanted to get them onto the computer to play around with them with all the cool effects available today!!! Am gonna show this to hubby when he gets home tonight!!! :o)

Maree: said...

Great Job nothing worse than the thought of losing all our precious memories....
cheers

Lyns said...

Wow that is one cool bit of technology. I need to get one! ps. love all your photos x

Simoney said...

Cool technology!!
For extra extra insurance... uplaod all your photos to flickr or photobucket or snapfish... then even if your computer goes for a swim, your photos are super safe in cyberspace :)
xx

weza said...

yes that is very very cool. Aldi you say... I wonder if they have anymore?

Gail said...

I need one of those! Where did you get it from?

jacksta said...

great idea!

Posie Patchwork said...

Happy travels, that image of the container is scary!! If we were ever posted overseas i'd take as little as possible with us. But MOVING, that's another leap of faith with your belongings. Love Posie

MNM's said...

What a fantastic idea!!!! Just out of interest how cheap is 'pretty cheap'? I wonder if they have these in NZ?

Tammi said...

What a great gadget that is. That was my main concern when we relocated from NZ to Australia, losing all our precious memories that span years.

Jodz said...

OMG! I neeeeeed one of those. I wonder if they sell them in NZ?

TracyP said...

I have a photo negative scanner too!! Best investment I ever made!! I haven't finished going through all my negatiives but Mum's are on the list after that and I have several friedns keen too!