Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A state of emergency...

Thank you everyone for your prayers.

Today has been a day of stress and worry and thankfulness and tears.

At the moment we are fortunate to be safe. Our suburb is on a hill between two suburbs that are underwater and cut off.

We have friends who have been evacuated and others who are separated from their husbands who are unable to make it home and are stranded halfway, due to flooded roads and rail lines.

The Lord Mayor said on the news that today is bad, tomorrow will be worse and Thursday will be devastating.  Pretty grim news. It will only get worse before it gets better.

The supermarket shelves are almost empty as everyone panics but we are together and we are safe and I bought milk, water and toilet paper yesterday - in bulk!
We have watched tv broadcasts about it all day, we have sat a nervously waited as one electrical storm after another rolled in. If you have ever experienced Brisbane's electrical storms you will know how frightening they can be.. and then they come one on top of the other.... terrifying.

When they closed the roads of the surrounding suburbs and people started posting pictures on facebook of our local malls, shops, parks and roads... thats when the tears came and the fear.  I quickly packed a few things we might need if evacuation might happen, without alerting the kids to my fear.

I have never experienced a natural disaster (apart from being in a tornado in the USA once- in a shelter fortunately) and this is huge, massive.. devastating.

We are going to sit down and watch a funny movie tonight because todays stress and worry is taking its toll.

My prayers and tears go out to those who have not been as fortunate as us, to those who have lost loved ones, their homes, cars and precious memories.

My heart breaks to hear about the children who have died in this disaster. It is something a mother imagines to be her worst nightmare. 

10 people have now been confirmed deceased, 22 since the floods started. 78 are now missing. Absolutely tragic.

To the amazing police, volunteers, SES and all those people who are doing an amazing job in a relentless situation, with little rest and so much dire need.

Please continue to pray for Queensland, the next few days are going to be very hard.

7 comments:

Gail said...

Yes, am praying for you all. Thanks for your updates on facebook too. I am reading and watching. Will be praying that those predictions for the next few days are not proven correct.

Corrie said...

Leonie I've been thinking of you all day! I hope you can survive the week safely and your friends are all reunited and safe and sound. Oh it's just devastating and I'm still watching all of the coverage and probably will till 2am or so when I go to bed

take care, we all care and I wish I could send up my pantry to keep you going!

corrie:)

weza said...

Hey how did I not know you had moved your blog? Have been wondering where your posts went.
Its all a bit too scary isnt it. Hope you guys are ok there. xxx

Fiona said...

Thinking of you all and hoping like crazy that things improve. I hear from my sister in NSW that the waters are starting to give cause for concern there too. She luckily also lives up a hill, but it sounds like it's going to get a lot worse before this nightmare is over.

Will be thinking of you over the next few days.

Feather on a Wire said...

I grew up in Brisbane, I can't imagine how bad it is for everyone. I hope you keep having electricity.
I can remember those electrical storms going on for hours sometimes, they were very impressive and often without rain.
Keep safe.

Simoney said...

Hugs Leonie. I have no words.
I can't believe it.
My sister is actually in brisbane, due toreturn today. they have been there for two weeks on holiday... I am assuming they are OK???
Eek.
It's just unbelievable!

PaisleyJade said...

Keeping you all in our prayers - we have family in Brisbane too (who are up high). A funny movie sounds like the perfect idea. xoxo