Friday, March 25, 2011

Gluten free Ginger Crunch

Following the requests for the ginger crunch that has totally destroyed my sugar free day!!
here it is....



Gluten Free Ginger Crunch


Base
125g butter, softened  (to make mine dairy free I used Olivani - was perfect!)
1/2 cup White Sugar
1 1/2 cups Healthries Simple wheat & gluten free Baking mix  (I used Orgran plain flour -its my fave gf flour)
1 teaspoon gluten free baking power
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Cream butter and sugar. Add dry ingredients. Press into lined swiss tin. Bake at 190 C for 20-25 minutes.
Topping
60g butter (or olivani)
4 tbsp golden syrup
1 1/2 c icing sugar (sifted)
1-2 tsp ground ginger
Melt together in a saucepan or cook for 1 minute in microwave then spread on to slice.
Allow to set and then cut into squares and try not to eat it all at once.

And because we're on the topic of Ginger Crunch... I had to share this ultra yummy gluten recipe... quite possible the best ginger crunch Ive ever tasted (prior to going gluten free). But if anyone finds me certified gluten free Oats...I'll be your friend for EVER!!!
Wholemeal Ginger Crunch
150g butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
3/4 c brown sugar
3/4 c coconut  (I use organic dessicated coconut as the supermarket one is full of preservatives that give us asthma)
1 1/2 c rolled oats (not instant)
3/4 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 - 2 tsp ground ginger
Heat oven to 180C. Melt butter, golden syrup and brown sugar in a pot. Remove from heat. Mix dry ingredients together and add to melted ingredients. Mix well and press into greased slice tin. Bake for 15 mins (for chewy) or 20 (for crunchy)
Use the above topping recipe for the topping.
Enjoy!!!

6 comments:

Naturally Carol said...

So glad you posted this recipe..I am going to make it this weekend. I haven't had this since being in NZ..quite a while ago now!

jacksta said...

http://www.glutenfreeoats.com/

Guess you can be my friend forever ;)

Fiona said...

Yummy - I'm looking forward to making this!

tlc said...

This sounds delicious.
Going to make it..no one try and stop me.

Sammy said...

Thanks!

onepassiononedevotion said...

yum, i'm so going to make this this week!