Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Chicken Whisperer

Applications for real friends (without feathers) now being received.

Well you all thought that my new role was taking over KMB..   it seems my parent's feathered friends have different ideas.
You see, Kia and Ora (the chickens) have taken a liking to me, and its very amusing.


Ora

I enjoy feeding them and changing their water, collecting their eggs... and it was me who SET THEM FREE!!!

They have a lovely coop ‘The Chicken Inn’ but had been banished from the garden for their ‘hell-raising’ antics with some certain vegetables.

I felt a bit sad seeing them cooped up (pun!)  ... so one day I set them free... and now they are very happy chickens...free ranging in the day and then they put themselves to bed at night.
But it seems they have become a bit attached to me...so much so, that when I go outside and head towards the back of property they stop whatever bit of dirt scratching or worm eating they are doing and run (fast) over to me!! They are in such a hurry they even try to fly (comical!)... and very sweet. They follow me around like little puppies. And I never ever knew chickens did that! 

I have recently finished reading Wendyl Nissen’s A home companion and it is a FANTASTIC MUST HAVE book – JUST LOVED IT. But I particularly liked her commentary about her chickens. 
I never thought of me as a chicken person.... definitely a cat person, definitely not a dog person... but a chicken person – really!?
So I am hoping wherever we end up living, we too can have chickens and hopefully I can have some real friends too J


13 comments:

Quilt Kitty said...

That's brilliant Leonie. I hope all us Kiwi cat people are really chicken people at heart too as I can't wait to leave the city & take my cats to live in the country where they can have pet chooks. Sounds like fun. Great names for the girls. Tracee xx

Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous! Hehehe... we have been talking about chickens recently also!

Christine M said...

My chickens do the same thing to me too! They come running from everywhere. I can get them to come into their house when I want to lock them up, even if it is early. When my husband tries, they just ignore him!

Donna said...

I too, have discovered I am a chicken person. We decided to get to chicks (for the girls) to collect their eggs. Little did I know how attached I was going to become to them. They are great little characters to have around with quite a personality. Maizy (Jorja's) is the leader and Georgina (Molleigh's) is the follower. They have wandered in the house several times to sit with me on the couch and have even managed to use the cat flap. Russ has now banned them from coming in (he has poo issues) They now stand at the door and rack it with their feet and peck until they realise no one will let them in. They are not earning their keep yet as they are too young to lay but I am really looking forward to their first egg's, be like being a Nana again. They free range when we are home and put themselves to bed just on dusk. Very cool

Simoney said...

Hilarious! Love thos photos! Made me smile. BTW You DO have some real freinds we just don't live close enough ♥

The South African Kiwis said...

Oh man, can I borrow The Home Companion book??? Have wanted to read it forever!

PaisleyJade said...

hehe! We've had chickens before and they are fun (apart from their poo everywhere and when they don't lay!).

Dawn said...

HAHAHAHA...Oh I like that comment..."Hope my egg doesn't fall out with all this running":))) I can't quit laughing:)))))))

Cat said...

LOL
you made a funnY!!!!!
LOL

love and light!

Notchka said...

Brillant post Leonie. I look forward to owning my own home and keeping chickens some day. We have a 400ish squares section (including the house) but still my husband is looking at coops on Trade Me! Keen chicken people are we!

sweetnektar said...

Loved this post Leonie!! This is next on my list of must haves....chooks!! Need to get the garden in a bit better state and sort the kids area out first (also need to move the beehives away from the play area) and then I can think about a few chooks!! Didn't realize they chase you around either...too funny! Love your blog!!

Meghan at MNM's said...

Gorgeous post! Very entertaining having visions of you being trailed everywhere you go by these funny creatures :-)

Hootnz said...

Also loving my chickens, pecking my shoes, and following me around..... taking photos on ground level makes them ever so curious.... who knew chickens were so much fun!