Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Op shop bargains

I am still fairly new to the art of Op shopping, because believe me, it is an art.

One must enter an Op shop with an open mind and be willing to hunt around to find the real bargains.

I have only been op shopping for about two years but I am getting better and better at it!!!

I have been planning to blog about my op shop finds for quite a while so I'll have to split it into several posts.

This morning started out as an innocent trip to the supermarket. I bought some groceries then debated with myself about checking out the op shop. There are several places to go near us, including two in our little township, but this one is by far the BIGGEST and most jam packed full of bargains.

Now I do have some issues with op shops that don't price their stuff. At this one previously I have felt that I have been overcharged.. its like they look at 'you' then pick their price. But this morning I must have been suitably attired to score some bargains.

First up some 100% New Zealand Wool Blankets... for a project I have in mind.  The Blue one I found in a Hospice shop a couple of weeks ago for $7. Its in fabulous condition.  The pink ones I found today. Two are double sized, the other single... a great big $19 for all three.
Then these gorgeous sheets, two of them in great condition... total $4.

A few weeks ago I also found these sheets for about $3 each
Of course I have a project for the sheets planned too... and I probably have enough to get started on it now.

But this morning, the prize find, in my opinion, goes to these gorgeous vintage suitcases.. EXACTLY what I have been searching for!!!!
Oh MY was I excited!!! But then I had to go and ask the price.. thinking how much would I be willing to part with for them....
this one with an old customs sticker ..
The lady said,'oh man, we get so many of these, you wouldnt believe how many we get... 'ok I was thinking please be affordable!!! 'Which ones do you want?' she said, and I pointed out the three I'd fallen in love with...

a whopping..   $2 each...... WOOHOO!!!

But, does anyone know if I can get these through customs???? I know they are suitcases, but they are also very old ..... just wondering?

Finally a little find that came from an unexpected source.  We recently visited my Mother in Law who was cleaning out her glory box.  As well as a huge pile of towels, facecloths and teatowels I came away with these beautiful pillowcases....
Still in the original packaging.... and look at the price on the side
So I'll be back next week with some more of the awesome finds I am having in the Bream Bay area!!!

16 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, awesome finds! Love the blankets and pillow cases in their gorgeous box! Suitcases should be okay, I'd just give them a wipe with a damp cloth and a quick gentle vacuum on the inside. :)

Tammi said...

I love op shopping!! Awesome finds Leonie but the suitcases are by far my favourite :) I have a growing collection of them, they come in handy for anything.
I think if you give them a good clean you should be alright getting them here.
xx

Leonie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leonie said...

Yay, thanks girls!! I am going to fill them with our stuff to bring back to Oz and then pop them in those $2 shop stripey bags..as two dont shut very well, which is fine for what i want them for.

Catherine said...

OMG those suitcases are amazing and the woolen blankets *swoon* I LOVE xxx FANTASTIC finds

Neetz said...

Cooolio!! dying to know what you're gonna do with those blankets and sheets though... more Leonie goodness no doubt!! ;)

Jacqui said...

Well done! I have a feeling I just got some of those blue rose sheets on a swap! With the suitcases I'd be less worried about customs (ie not at all) than I would be of them falling apart in transit. They're probably designed for the kinder, gentler world of small planes or trains.

PaisleyJade said...

Oh man - totally drooling over your blankets and suitcases!! Have been wanting to find some blankets like that for ages to make a few cushions out of! Must get op shopping asap!!

Lyndel said...

great finds! .. with the old brown suitcases, I find a bit of a polish up with brown shoe polish gets rid of the grey 'cardboardy' look, and cleans them up beautifully. Damp cloth with a bit of orange oil cleaner for the blue one, and good wipe out inside with some Hygenic Handwipes is good too (I use them on 2nd hand handbags too where all the dust and bits of lolly paper linger).

CHD said...

What amazing finds. Loving the blankets and sheets and cases. Cx

Meghan at MNM's said...

Wow awesome finds love - and I'm sure that my gran has at least 2 of those pairs of sheets you found too - they look so familiar!

Sima J said...

Yay I love a good bargain! Those suitcases are awesome! And those blankies are great too!! Ooo I wanna see what you do with the sheets ... ???

Carey Morris said...

I saw in our local sewing shop little dresses made from the woollen blankets like your amazing finds. They are like tunics with a lining and lovely flowers sewn on. I must remember to take my camera and take some photos. It was great upcycling.

A Keeper said...

Cool! I need to get into op shopping I think!

K said...

LOVE the suitcases!
I found a couple at one of my ops shops and once I air them out and clean them, will house my sheets and towels so I don't have to run through the house when I've forgotten to replace the towels!!

You can see my suitcases here: http://kathryngalloway.blogspot.com/2011/07/vintage.html

Belinda Julie said...

Hi Leonie, I LOVE all of your op shop finds!!! They are amazing! Good work!! I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with the wool blankets!