Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Vintage Sheet Picnic Blanket

Today we are off to the beach with some friends for a picnic.  A friend kindly gave us an esky (Australian speak for chilly bin, cooler...) but I realised yesterday we don't have a picnic blanket.

For about two years I have had intentions of making a vintage sheet picnic blanket, inspired by one I saw that even had rock pockets included so you could pop rocks (or something heavy) in them to weight the blanket down.

Cue my collection of vintage sheets and a sewing machine kindly lent to me from a friend.

An hour or so later... one picnic blanket... with pieces of vintage sheets I have collected in Northland, NZ ..so its kinda special too!

I sewed 16 large squares together
Sewed the back on and turned it out the right way, whipped around the edge with the sewing machine.

(PJ dont you love the backing sheet!!!)
Then sewed buttons where each of the squares meet...



Oh how I love the wee rock pockets in the corners.... just need to find some rocks to use..
Linking up over here at Our Creative Spaces....

*oh and we went to the beach... to the picnic...and didnt even use it!! hahaha.. we got a picnic table under the shade instead... but its all ready for next time.. just going to add some ties so I can roll it up.

25 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

Oh I am in love!! I've been dreaming of making a picnic blanket for ages and that rock pocket idea is brilliant!!! p.s. was totally drooling over the paisley before I saw your comment!!

Well done - totally awesome. xoxo

Cat said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE - guess what I'm making this week!
BTW how did you do the rock pockets
Did I tell you how much I LOVE this xxx

Sammy said...

GAH! I LOVE IT!!!! I am green with vintage envy...! Seriously, well done it's lovely

Megan said...

i've been wanting to make one of these for ages too- love the rock pockets. maybe by this summer i'll have one done!

jacksta said...

great idea with the rock corners

tartankiwi said...

Looks great. Love those rock pockets too!

Meghan at MNM's said...

OMG - this is gorgeous! You are one talented lady.

Man if I owned this I'd be out lying on it in the grass every day reading a jolly good book!

Gail said...

Must.Have.One

Tammi said...

That is one stunning picnic blanket and I am totally in love with the pocket corners..have not seen that before :)
x

CHD said...

Loving that fabric. Looks great. Great idea. Cx

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Oh wow, that picnic blanket is DELICIOUS!
I want one! Now!

Renee said...

Such a cool idea - and how awesome are you to whip it up in an hour!!! Love the vintage sheets - I might have to raid my Nanas linen cupboard and brave this idea to give it a go!

Fay said...

Looks great! I'm totally loving those rock pockets too.

Angel.Pearls said...

Very beautiful! Love your country - I was a backpacker in NZ in 1990!!
Best wishes Eva

Christie said...

So gorgeous! I think I'd be making up excuses to go on picnics just to show it off!
Cheers,
Christie

sascedar said...

i am soooo making one of these! gorgeous project.

Kylie said...

It looks great - love it - the little rock pocket idea is a fantastic idea (LOL at going on a picnic and not getting to use it - that would be me, but I would have left it at home and forgotten about it until we got there:)

Jacqui said...

Seriously the most gorgeous picnic blanket I have ever seen!!!

Leonie said...

Lovely! and I LOVE the buttons especially, along with the backing fabric!

Carey Morris said...

Clever idea, I can see sheets from my childhood on your picnic blanket LOL.

Sam said...

That's an awsome idea Leonie, looks like a quick project too (which I like), going straight onto my to do list. Great vintage look with those pretty fabrics too :)Sam

Akamatra said...

Love the idea of a picnic!!! Love your blanket too!

Teek said...

the picnic blanket is wonderful.

Ms Kate said...

Love the idea of rock pockets, never heard of that before!

Don't the buttons hurt?

I think I'm going to make one too, thanks to your inspiration.

Belinda Julie said...

1 hour!! You are so clever!!! I love the paisley backing. I want one!! I must add it to my never-ending list of things to make!