Thursday, October 6, 2011

Creating for creating

When you are a parent, don't you love it when at 4pm in the evening your child tells you they NEED something urgently for school the next day?  Especially when you have had about 2 hours sleep the night before due to a tummy upset....and still haven't even entertained the idea of what to cook for dinner.

My darling daughter informed me at 4pm yesterday she needed an art smock by tomorrow!

Well, with all my fabric and craft stuff in NZ and working with a borrowed sewing machine and some toothpicks for my eyes, I somehow managed to whip up this art smock last night.

Made from a lemon-yellow valance someone gave to us and the binding from a thrifted vintage sheet.
the front

the back
the vintage sheet binding

As you can see I specially ironed it (ha!) for the photos and took them in the darkest, dingiest corner of the lounge.... its acutally more of a lemon than yellow ....

It needs some prettying up... maybe an applique or a bit of embroidery....

I used the pattern in this great book


Joining in with Our Creative Spaces



10 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

I like!! I must get myself some toothpicks for my eyes too!!

tartankiwi said...

Impressed?... Just a bit!!!! Well done you, it looks great!

Renee said...

Gosh, you're so clever...I'd like you for my Mummy, please!

Cat said...

VERY impressed xxx

Elizabeth said...

It looks GREAT! It would have been a quick trip to the shops with a grumpy Mummy in our house ;-)!

Lea said...

Very cute smock. I LOVE this book too. I have made the blossom blouse. You must work well under pressure, lovely job!

TracyP said...

awesome job!!! You are a fabulous Mum xxx

banban said...

Great work!

itstartswithme said...

i love it too. bright and inspiring, just right for art and craft!

Sarah Lee said...

Wowzers! That is the stylist art smock ever! I'd be worried to get it dirty, it looks so classy! You are seriously talented and amazing to do that on zilch sleep (I couldn't do that on a full nights sleep!). In my day we were told to bring in one of our Dad's old work shirts to wear for art :-)