Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 - keeping it real

I have tired several times to write a post about this year. But I am really stuck. Its like a bloggers block or something.

What I really want to do is be honest and say, 2011 you sucked. Good bye. (please read on I promise its not all whinging and gloom)....

But I know thats not really fair. Because theres has been a lot of GOOD stuff in amongst the tough stuff this year. Its just all the GOOD stuff is making me really homesick and emotional as well!

So Im keeping it real. Im not going to gloss over it with pretend happiness and joy. Im just going to say it how it is.

2011 has been a year of monumental change for our family. And we all know change can be tough. And really sometimes I dont care if it will make me stronger. I am like a toddler having a tantrum. I do not WANT to do it! okay!

So what has 2011 taught me....

21 things I learnt in 2011....

1. The Queensland floods were scary. Floods are scary. Earthquakes are scary. Watching what the people of Christchurch have been through this year has broken my heart.
2. When there are disasters, people are AMAZING! People are generous of heart, spirit and body. Incredible.
3. Cutting out sugar makes me lose weight... or maybe it is cutting our gluten, dairy, egg and sugar???
4. Shoes are not compulsory in New Zealand. Even for teachers. I likey..and I forgot!
5. I have met a bunch of bloggers this year and they rock. Many of them have become very significant friends in my life.
6. Just because you want to return to live in your homeland, does not mean there will be jobs.
7. Moving internationally is draining. Moving internationally twice in one year...well that is just madness.
8. Having my baby start school was really emotional. Nobody tells you how quiet it will be without her.
9. My kids are INCREDIBLE. I tell you. They are AMAZING.
10. I had a breast lump removed as well as a Gastroscopy at the same time, and the gastroscopy was more painful afterwards. Who would have thought?? (*edited to add: having a breast lump removed is not painfree believe me...just wasn't expecting to be so sore from the gastroscopy!)
11. I  learnt to crochet this year.
12. I now have two autoimmune diseases, it seems my body doesn't like itself very much. It's kind of like my kids fighting, I wish my body would just get over it and play nice.
13. People are incredible.
14. We have made too many trips to the hospital this year..
15. I love to crochet.
16. It is hard to forgive.
17. I turned 40 and said I didn't want a party. I lied.
18. I can do being alone and not lonely
19. I was 40 the first time I rode in an ambulance. But for my daughter, not me.
20. I can live without a telephone line. Seriously. (just my mobile and internet ,no home line for almost one year)
21. I haven't had a cold/flu for exactly one WHOLE year!! woohoo!! (and no immunisation for me!) and Im going to share my (not so secret) secret in future posts!

A few of my favourite pics of the year.....


and just in case you missed it..bloggers rock. Thanks to everyone who visits my little blog. I have recently ticked over 200 followers and I am incredibly grateful. Thanks for your comments, love and support.

Thank you to all those bloggers who contributed to the Softies for Christchurch, your generosity and kindness were incredible and humbling.

All the best to everyone for the New year. I am sure 2012 is going to be INCREDIBLE!!!

21 comments:

Megan said...

Wishing you a wonderful 2012 Leonie- isn't it great at this time of year to take stock of a year and look forward to the next hoping it is going to be a lot better than the last!! (and you are a very youthful 40 lucky you!)

Meghan at MNM's said...

Gosh it sure has been a year of trials and challenges. But you have faced these with such determination yet a gentle heart that I have been so encouraged by your journey.

I truly believe God will have some awesome things in store for you in 2012 xxx

PaisleyJade said...

I so admire you Leonie - it's been a rough year but I love the way you keep it real and keep hanging on and hoping. Have loved meeting you in real life and hopefully will catch up again sometime soon!! Happy New Year!

Alisa said...

Lovely post.

I can relate with alot of it (apart from the moving thing).. I had to have breast biopsys done and then later part of my breast removed... the biopsys hurt more than the surgery.. weird.

I hope 2012 is better for you all and some of your dreams come true :)

Fiona said...

I remember that you made your first move at about the same time we moved back to Europe. I simply can't imagine how tough it was having to make the second move - I feel like I'm only just recovering from our move.

Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy 2012.

m.e (Cathie) said...

I admire you so much leonie and asn glad I have got to know you a bit better through twitter.
You have been quite a few times to hospital & that really sucks. I just want to reach out and hug you, I am feeling your pain.
I wish you a wonderful new year with love, health & happiness x

Miriam said...

Leonie... I love that crochet made it on the list twice - :-) What a tough year you have had. In 2012 may you have deep peace, health and a rested heart. As proverbs says - above all else guard your heart it is the wellspring of life - push through with forgiveness it's worth it for you. xxxx

CurlyPops said...

2012 HAS to be better surely! Oh, and autoimmune diseases SUCK!!!!

Debbie @ Aspiring Mum said...

This year has been a bit of an up and down year in my little corner as well. Bring on 2012 - may it be wonderful for you.

Tammi said...

Oh what a year you've had Leonie. Hopefully 2012 will be a lot kinder to you :)
It's been a pleasure visiting your little slice of the web and I look forward to what next year unravels.

P.s had to laugh about the shoe comment...even after 5 years I am still having to remind myself to dress my feet before I leave the house.

xx

Jennifer said...

You are amazing, Leonie. Great post. You are so real about the ups and downs. I think we've all had a year like that at some point or other, for me when I look back on 2008 I would rather forget about it. But God always brings us through when we rely on Him (although I totally know the feeling that at the time you simply don't care about it making you stronger!!! tee hee :o) Thank goodness God is UNCHANGING in the midst of all the change that happens in our lives!!!

I was so glad to meet you too. Wishing you and your family nothing but the BEST for 2012!!! I turn 30 next year and I gotta say I'm excited about it :o)

Love, Jennifer xoxo

Seaside Siblings said...

What a year, like you, I am pleased to be saying bye to 2011. Happy new year.

Rachel Kate said...

Loving the line... I had a birthday and said I didn't want a party. I lied hahahah :) you are never too old for parties or pressies I reckon!

banban said...

Happy New Year!!!! Lets pray 2012 will be a bit more settling, peaceful, secure and grounded for you all ay! And lets hang out some more along the way. xx

weza said...

My friend it has been a full on year for you. Heres hoping for a settled, and peaceful 2012. I really pray that this year hubby gets a fab job, you guys find and awesome permanent home and everything falls into place nicely. One thing I tell myself when things are tough is that these are the times that grow us, the times we remember and the times to shine. And shine you certainly have. I am so blessed to call you a real life friend. Cant wait to hang out more. xxx

jennie said...

Brilliant post Leonie!
I hope the new year brings lots of good things for you and your family. It will be great to feel settled and calm sometime soon! XXJennie.

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh i did the same post, what kind of sucked about 2011 wasn't really worth highlighting. Yay for 2012.
I am so having a party for my 40th in 2015, absolutely, no shame about doing that & my husband & children can help out too. We'll be on our farm & loving it, so yay to the future.
Wishing you a beautiful new year & FYI shoes are optional for students & teachers in the Northern Territory too, they're just happy you came to school at all. Love Posie

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh forgot to say - your beautiful house ornament was the last one i removed from the Christmas tree & i left it on top of the box to make me smile next Christmas, finally it will be one with my husband home or we'll visit him, either way, we'll be together, love Posie

Sue said...

Thanks for being honest. You pretty much summed up my basic feelings for 2011. I hope and pray that God will bless you with health, prosperity, and love more abundantly this new year.

Renee said...

Hi Leonie, I just found your blog and have been having a quick read. Loving your work. I have put the yo-yo christmas tree on my list of things to make this year......
Sounds as though you had a very big and busy 2011. I look forward to following your journies through 2012.
Kind regards
Renee

jacksta said...

loads of great lessons learnt in there!
Just so you know. You rock!