Friday, September 28, 2012

Loving: Leaving on a Jet plane

Our family is very excited to be counting down to a big five week trip to the USA.

When I was at high school I was an exchange student to Harvard, Illinois for twelve months. The.best.experience.ever.

I was so fortunate to have an amazing host family who welcomed me into their family and in the 20+ years since, we are still really close. I consider them part of my family.

Seven years ago my hubby and I went to visit them and had a fantastic 3 weeks (sans children). I was pregnant with our youngest at the time. It was lovely for my host family to meet him (and vice versa).

About an hour after we arrived to visit my host parents, in Nebraska, my host Dad commented on how it felt like it was just yesterday I had left. I wholeheartedly agreed!
My lovely host Mom and Dad with hubby in 2005
Our trip this time will be a massive one for us. First 'family' holiday in a very long time. The planning has been intense (and continues).

I can't wait to share with our children the amazing people who were my family for a year as a teenager, and for them to see parts of the country I love.

We are heading to LA first to do the tourist thing. Then Anaheim and San Diego. (read: Hollywood, Disneyland, Legoland).

My host parents and two of my host brothers/sisters now live in Tuscon so we'll be spend three weeks with them and squeezing in a trip to the Grand Canyon.
Hubby and I at Grand Canyon 2005
Saguaro Catcus in Tucson (hubby)


I LOVE that an amazing experience in my young life has also provided me an ongoing relationship with an amazing family and I am SO thankful we are able to make this trip.

I will be sure to bore you senseless with photo's and our travels when the time comes!!!

Linking up here




13 comments:

Cat said...

squeeee I'm excited for you

CHD said...

Leonie, you are going to have the best time. I'm finding it hard to get excited here about my trip- we had such a fun time with the kids last year that it doesn't feel right going without them. Hoping once we are on our way I'll relax! Such fun visiting 'family' over there. Enjoy this time of anticipation too. It's part of the fun. Cx

jacksta said...

jealous much!

Miriam said...

Wowsers! Exciting! Have a great time.

Katie said...

Wow - sounds like you will have an awesome time! Hope all the preparations go well :-)

Meghan at MNM's said...

These no chance I will be bored senseless...bring on all the excitement and picture overload!

Gail said...

Yay - so funny that we are going to just miss each other at all of those places!!!

Sammy said...

How amazing! You are going to have a wonderful time!

Elizabeth said...

Wahoo = have a WONDERFUL time! Yay!

Sarah of 'Catching the Magic' said...

Whooooooooo! So excited for you! What a wonderful relationship you've built up over the years and how incredible to now journey with your children to a place you've made so many memories in the past. Magic! Can't wait to read and see it all! xx

Bron said...

That's a great dream coming true...have a fabulous trip xx

Stace said...

ahhh this sounds so exciting,

Melissa said...

Awesome! We did three weeks in the states recently and it was magic just to enjoy SO much family time together.