Monday, October 1, 2012

Mrs Readalots Bloggy Bookclub

I'm so excited to be hosting Mrs Readalots Bloggy Bookclub this month! Welcome Book lovers!

Mrs Readalots bloggy Bookclub
As per usual I couldn't choose just ONE book so I have chosen two books that I have enjoyed recently.

Friendship Bread by Darien Gee and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.


Friendship Bread - Darien Gee
Friendship Bread is a book that I picked up at the library one day, not having heard anything about it before.
I love stories about women's friendships and I have to admit, I love this book because it is set in a small mid-Western town in Illinois (I spent a year as an exchange student in Illinois).
Friendship bread is about Julie Evarts who finds a loaf of 'Amish friendship bread' on her doorstep one day and a bag of starter with the instructions on how to 'grow' it and pass it on to others.
The starter dough multiplies or grows each time it is made, with the intention of passing it along to other people - like a 'bread' chain letter.
It can be changed and flavoured in many ways and I can see the analogy to how we are moulded and shaped by the different people friendships we have, although our 'starter' is essentially ourselves.
The friendship bread in turn grows many friendships and dreams in the small town. 
An easy read if you like books about women's friendships.

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
The Alchemist I borrowed on the recommendation of a friend from the tiny (but well stocked) library at Waipu in Northland, New Zealand, when we were living back in NZ last year.
If you want a quick read, with meaning, this is it.

The Alchemist is the story of a young man, Santiago, who is a shepherd. He cares deeply for his sheep and feels they have taught him much, but has a dream of crossing the Sahara to see the pyramids, to find his treasure.
His quest to follow his dream doesn't go quite to plan and this little tale tells of his journey to reach his destiny.
My favourite quote from the book ...
" He was sure that it made no difference to her on which day he appeared: for her, everyday was the same, and when each day is the same as the next, it's because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises."

I have read this book a couple of times and it's a great read.



2 comments:

Bron said...

I read The Friendship Bread when I saw it coming up....love love loved it. x

Simoney said...

I am halfway through the Alchemist and it is really an allegory isn't it? A bit like a modern day Pilgrim's progress, full of hidden wisdom.
I'd love to read friendship bread too
Great picks yet again Leonie!
x