Monday, October 29, 2012

Thyroid days

Thank you for the lovely comments on my post over the weekend. The kind words of friends can really be so powerful and reassuring.

I thought I'd share with you a little more about thyroids, because most people diagnosed with thyroid diseases are women.

The thyroid is a gland at the base of the front of your neck. It is the gland that controls your temperature, your metabolism, so many vital functions in your body.

When I was first diagnosed with Graves Disease (Hyperthyroidism) I was oblivious to the crucial role of the thyroid. I had a goiter in my neck and was so vain I was horrified because I thought I'd grown an Adam's apple!

When I had a severe reaction to the medication to slow the progress of the Graves Disease, and told I had only a few weeks to live, all I was worried about as they wheeled me into theatre was whether I would have a big scar *rolls eyes*. This was despite them saying how risky having the surgery was in a thyrotoxic state.

I now know an awful lot about Auto Immune diseases. 'Graves' little friend, 'Coeliacs',  joined the party three years ago. Apparently, this is quite common.

Lately I am so surprised by how many people close to me have thyroid diseases. Two of my closest friends have had their thyroids removed in the last few years and another very close friend is going through the nightmare of Grave's Disease at the moment.

I recently read a great blog post by Sarah Wilson, a blogger I started following when I gave up eating sugar almost a year ago. The fact that she blogs about Autoimmune Disease is an added bonus.

When I first read this post I cried, because it so accurately describes the bad days I have, and it validates me feeling this way. I no longer berate myself for crawling into bed or on the couch in a ball to wait it out.

For those of you who might be interested, perhaps someone YOU know has an autoimmune thyroid disease, this post is very enlightening...

http://www.sarahwilson.com.au/2012/10/this-is-what-a-thyroid-day-looks-like/

For me its the lack of sleep, the noise (hard when you have children), the perfumes. It's the 'just coping'.

Hopefully when my new natural thyroid medication arrives tomorrow I will feel a bit more normal and can write some real blog posts!




3 comments:

Flying Blind... said...

Fingers crossed for the new meds xxx

Sophie Slim said...

Wow. I just looked at that link, I had no idea what a thyriod was, and after reading your account and the other blog, far out, its horrendous!!! No wonder you "ball it out"

Hugs, and hope for your new medication! x

Miriam said...

Thanks for such an enlightening link. I eat crap but I am lucky not to have the struggles with health you do. You do so well xxx