So far, this is what I have learned
1. When you think you have kicked Jet Lags butt, your kids will remind you that you haven't (a night of everyone awake).
2. Pillow pets are a huge waste of space. However, a special (small) cuddly toy or three, is very important.
3. Turning 7 the day after you do a long haul flight might sound exciting in theory, but the reality is you will cry. A lot. And strollers are too small for lanky long 7 year olds. But all will be right with the world if you wear sparkly shoes to dinner.
5. Children see things we often miss in our hurry through life. It pays to take the time to listen and see it through their eyes. (eg. Jim Henson building around the corner from our hotel).
6. Homeless people and begging is very confronting to an 11 year old. We have constantly reassured and discussed.
7. Kids need DOWNTIME. As exciting as it is to see and do so many things, kids need a break. They need a chance to play, swim, watch tv. Play on their iPods with the free wifi.
11. You will visit the toilet approximately 54376892 times a day.
12. When standing in a queue for a ride at Disneyland for 20 minutes, you can guarantee 2 minutes before you reach the ride at least one or two children will be bursting for the toilet! (regardless if they've just been). Convincing them they can hang on until after the ride works wonders, because then, surprisingly, they no longer need to go. Nerves.
14. It will rain.
14. Your kids will constantly amaze you!
16. 7, 9 and 11 years are perfect ages to take on this trip!
Love these beautiful children of ours.
At the moment, we don't want to miss a thing!