Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Return to sender

So... here we are.. HOME!!!

As my blog says, I am such a Kiwi at heart and last Thursday we arrived in our homeland.

a first glimpse of NZ
The peace I feel about this move home is enough to know this is exactly where we are supposed to be.

The lead up to the move was kind of insane.
Moving is insane... international moving - notches things up by 100 fold I think. There were movers, suitcases to pack, a cat to organise to travel, a bond clean on the rental, plus good byes to friends and comforting our children who were both excited and sad at the same time.

Cat bombing the photo

On our return from our amazing trip to the USA, visiting my host family from my student exchange, hubby and I both agreed it was time to go home. We need our families in our lives on a regular basis. Hubby applied for jobs, went for interviews and a great job landed in his lap.

Ever since then things seem to be falling into place. On arriving home his Dad had found him a great (cheap) car and things are happening for us, almost effortlessly.

As the plane touched down I started to cry, tears of joy. Two and a half years of living in limbo wondering where we were supposed to be and we were finally home. As the Customs Officer processed our passports I started to cry again (sook!). The emotions were overwhelming... my preteen was overwhelmed with shame...*snigger*


Our kitty cat arrived the day after us... what a rigmarole! But she's totally worth it. She was so miserable when we collected her after going back and forward between about 15 different buildings!

Yesterday we drove up to my Mum and Dad's in Northland and it was a very emotional welcome. Mum and Dad haven't seen their grandchildren for almost 19 months.
Miss 11 is almost as tall as Nana
We have a crazy busy few (six) weeks ahead of us with exciting times catching up with family and friends, the BLOGGERS conference! and another little trip back to Oz for hubby and I for a dear friends wedding.

So here we are. Hopefully my blogging will gain some momentum and I will FINALLY blog about our trip to the USA, all the crafting that's been going on in the background, etc.

With love
The KIWI at heart AT home
xx



26 comments:

Simoney said...

YAYAYAYAY!
Welcome home...
(see you TOMORROW)
!!!

Max said...

Welcome home xxx

Meghan at MNM's said...

So nice to have you BAAAAAAACK!

Sarah of 'Catching the Magic' said...

So, SO thrilled for you! I feel quite emotional reading this post. I know that I will miss New Zealand SO much when we're living in the States later this year. I absolutely know, in my heart, we will be back living in New Zealand at some point - be it a year, three years or ten years, but can totally imagine the emotions you felt landing on New Zealand soil. I am eternally grateful to 'the universe' for blessing me with three New Zealand born daughters.

I'll be back for sure and thrilled that KMB will keep me forever in touch with so many gorgeous people and the country that captured my heart some fifteen years ago.

Lots of love and very best wishes to you and your gorgeous family. So, so happy that you are all together where you want to be xxxx

PaisleyJade said...

Woohoo - welcome home Leonie!! So happy I will get to spend some quality time with you soon in Christchurch as well!!! xoxo

Leonie said...

Welcome Home!! xx

Sammy said...

Welcome home honey xxx

dear molly said...

Oh Leonie, I am so thrilled for you guys. I couldn't read this post and not well up..it's hard being away from whanau, extremely hard and for us I don't see a move coming any time soon. Enjoy being back in our homeland and lap up all the love that surrounds you :)
Xx

Leanne M said...

There is no better feeling than the peace in your heart, knowing you are where you are meant to be. Despite all the upheaval to make it happen, you must be so very happy and your wider family will relish having you home again.

nz green buttons said...

Welcome home!!!!! xxx See you soon!

Ange - Tall, Short & Tiny said...

Welcome home! This made me a little bit teary; sounds like this move was meant to be xx

Fiona said...

Thrilled for you, Leonie. I remember you were moving two years ago when we moved back to Europe from Canada. I have no idea how you've had the energy to do another move in the time since- it's so stressful and draining (we're just about to do it again). I'm sure that all the stress of the move has been worth it though to be back home. Enjoy!

The Smith-Case Family said...

Welcome back to New Zealand. We have been here ten years next month. What a great place New Zealand / Auckland is to call home!

Megan said...

welcome home Leonie, so looking forward to meeting you in Chch :)

Aussie Nanna said...

What a lovely story.....Soooo pleased you are home and happy!
Family is very important in our lives and those of our children :)
I take my hat off to you for organising an international move!!! Just moving house in the same town is hard enough!

Jess B said...

Welcome home! It's a pretty great place to be, isn't it?! x

jacksta said...


see you soon!

Widge said...

woohoo! welcome home x

Hootnz said...

Sounds like you made the right choice with all the tears you've shed....welcome home! and I look forward to meeting you soon :)

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

I am so happy you are home

Stella Rutherford said...

woohoooOOO!!!! So glad you got to come home Leonie!!! x

Suze said...

I can only imagine how glad you are to be home. Enjoy.

Rachel B said...

Ahhh... what a lovely feeling that must be. I am really happy for you that you finally feel settled and at home. There's really nothing like it!

We will be in NZ for the whole of June and the first couple of weeks of July, as we are moving from Switzerland to Sydney. The time in NZ will be our first proper holiday in ages. I'd be keen to meet you for a coffee or something - don't know if you have the time or where you are living, but we will be on the North Shore in Auckland.

Best of luck for settling the kids into their schools and enjoy the last of this (apparently, so I'm tol) great kiwi summer :)

meg said...

Yes I'm very late but a big belated welcome home from me too. Hope to catch up soon. X

Pearlin J said...

this post is soo close to me as well having just moved myself . Wish you all the best

Neetz said...

you know my exact feelings on this! wwwooohooooo! so glad you're back xxxx