Thursday, June 27, 2013

Recalibrating



We have now been back in NZ for three months. Back to winter temperatures we {may} have forgotten, condensation we haven't missed and layer upon layer of warm clothes. 


Things have been a little bit tough around here, now the 'honeymoon' period has worn off. 
Apparently I have reverse culture shock and need to 'recalibrate' as a returning migrant.

I'm trying hard to focus on the reasons we came home and just need a little bit extra love and support from those around me as I navigate my way forward.
There have been a lot of tears shed and many a lonely day but at least I know this is a 'normal' response to coming back after years of living away.

The most important thing is our kids are really happy at their new school, hubby loves his new job and we have our own home again. Focus, focus, focus. 

So while my heart is feeling fragile I am crafting those blues away. As you do.


7 comments:

Jen said...

{{{hugs}}} I hear ya on the loneliness, sadness and adjustment. We've been here 2 years and I still sometimes struggle. I hope you feel better soon. Oh, and that scarf is gorgeous, as are the other goodies!

Ange - Tall, Short and Tiny said...

YES!! I really struggled when we moved back from our time in England, and it took a good 6 months before I started to feel truly happy about being home...and we had a new baby, so everything was different!
You will adjust, just give yourself time and space to breathe and grieve for what was xxx

Cat said...

Be kind to yourself and yes it is brrrrrrr cold

You don't need to be a retuning migrant or an expat to feel loneliness or isolation ~ believe me ~
Crafting our blues away is perfect therapy

nz green buttons said...

xxx hugs! - Craft away those blues!

Leonie said...

Change is hard - hang in there, I'm sure in time things will start to feel better. x

Hootnz said...

Craft for your sanitys sake!! soon things will turn around for the better :)) xxx

Mrs M said...

Winter is a tough time to move back - -we did it also and I grieved the loss of our central heating and condensation free windows for a looong time!! (just installed an HRV actually - amazing!!) Anyway, just wanted to say that spring will soon be here and with it the warmth and excitement of plants popping up in your new garden and the ability to decorate, renovate and paint furniture till your hearts content. Hang in there -- and welcome home!