Thursday, September 26, 2013

Vintage Zig Zag Rainbow quilt




Wahoo!!! One finished quilt.

It is made of a mixture of vintage sheets and vintage fabrics and even the white is a vintage sheet that had a lovely embroidered edge.

I have been collecting vintage sheets as I have found them in Op Shops in NZ and Australia, for the last few years. I have quite a collection now - (husband rolls his eyes).

This quilt is made of pieces from my collection, from a vintage fabric swap I took part in and from squares
swapped with my lovely friend Cait. My friend Lisa also gave me some vintage fabrics before we left Brisbane, which make an appearance in here too.

With well over 300 squares I was struggling to decide what to make... and then I saw a fabulous cushion made by Janelle Wind on an IG post and a fab zig zag rainbow quilt made by my friend Simone. I was INSPIRED! That very same day this quilt top was made.

Last week I FINALLY bought a walking foot and taadaa! It's finished!!!

I still have about 250 squares to use! My girls are fighting over this one so maybe I'll need to make another.

Two more quilts are quilted and sitting ready to have the binding stitched down so there will be more quilt loveliness coming very soon! I feel like I am accomplishing huge things with these quilts!!

Linking in with  Show and Tell,  NZ Handmade and Made by Hand







25 comments:

Ginx Craft said...

Wow, your vintage fabrics are so lovely and cheerful. Why can't I find any vintage sheets in my local charity shops? Very frustrating but I will keep looking.

Fay said...

Gorgeous!

Leonie said...

Stunning Leonie, just stunning!! Id be fighting over it too!

PaisleyJade said...

Just love it! Beautiful Leonie!

Liz said...

Wowser - that looks fantastic!

Hootnz said...

That is stunning Leonie!! You have grouped the fabrics so well that the colour wash is so effective! Well done and I'm excited to see more :)

A little bit Country said...

Wow, that is so beautiful xo

Sophie Slim said...

Stunner!!

nz green buttons said...

It's amazing!!!! Beautiful, I might need to get a walking foot now too :)

Meghan M said...

I love it Leonie - so awesome!

Julie - Slice in the Life of Julie said...

That is awesome!

Miriam said...

Oh I love this it is totally gorgeous. Well done :0) xxx

CHD said...

It is stunning! Can't wait to see what you make with the rest of the squares. Cx

Max said...

wow Leonie, it's fantastic. i love it with the white, is so fresh and modern looking, and very inspiring x

HalfDozen said...

Lovely! I have a huge stack of vintage sheets Ive been hoarding, I'd love to do one of these.

BigLittle said...

This is so gorgeous. I love the way you have created the rainbow colours so beautifully from the sheets. It must have taken some time and patience to collect them all, and it was SO worth it. Amazing :). X

meg said...

Wow!! I don't usually go in for the whole quilting thing but this is gorgeous! Well done :o)

jacksta said...

Neetz said...

AH-MAZ-ING! Love it.. love it a lot! xx

Jennie Coull said...

Wow that looks so awesome!! you are very clever!!

smilie said...

popping over from Show and Tell, although I've been here before. I love all your vintage fabric. You made the cover in one day. I'm impressed.

Bron said...

Great work...looks like all the fabric left needs to be another quilt to keep the peace. xxx

Jenny said...

Leonie, this quilt is AMAZING. I love the colours and the pattern! Those retro fabric patterns look fantastic! x

Jenny said...

I left a comment here the other day but for some reason it's never shown up. I've been updating my profile though, so maybe that's why? :o)

ANYWAY, your quilt looks fantastic, Leonie! I love it! The vintage fabrics look so good together, the colours are pretty. You and Cait are totally inspiring me to get started on my first ever quilt - it's on my list of things I want to make, too!
x

Katie said...

It's beautiful! Guaranteed to make who ever is snuggling under it cheery :-)