Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Spend free September : Week one

One week into Spend-Free September and apart from a little blip where I had to buy the teen's friend a birthday present, I have been doing REALLY well.

I will admit I have wanted to go to the shops for various things... BUT I have kept away which I am sure makes the temptation a lot less. Working helps as I have less time for the temptation.

My lovely friend Mel is also doing a No Spend September and I really enjoyed her post yesterday about her first week and the temptations she's faced. She's doing so well too!

The challenge for this week will be coming up with an awesome present for my parent's 45th wedding anniversary without spending.

One area we still need to do a LOT of work is our food budget. We need to make a meal plan and stick to it. It is really hard to shop and cook for various food allergies so I am going make that our focus for October. One step at a time.

And in case you want an easy birthday present for a teenager (or younger or older) this is what I came up with in a hurry on Friday for the unexpected party

Take one popcorn container (6 for $2 at the bargain shop). Add one bag of lollies ($2 at the supermarket). A bag of microwave popcorn ($1.30) and a movie voucher (whatever nomination you choose).  Wrap it in cellophane. Viola!


Apparently her friend said it was perfect. I'm doing these for all the cousins birthdays and popping a few in the cupboard for other 'unexpected' invites in future spend-free months (shh... dont tell the kids!)



4 comments:

Nikki said...

You inspired me to do a no spend September! But then ASOS had another 15% off their sale items... and I bought a new coat! Dammit! I'm secretly hoping it doesn't fit and then I can send it back for a refund and then I'll be back on track!

P.S - that birthday present is such a cool idea!

Leonie said...

What a great gift idea - inspired! and wahoo for you! Well done for avoiding and being super good!

Hootnz said...

Well done Leonie!! and here's to more success this week too :)) I love the teen pressie idea! might have to pop that idea away for future reference!

Hootnz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.