Monday, September 1, 2014

Spend Free September

For this month, our family challenge is going to be no spending in September.

We don't spend huge money on things normally, we rarely buy clothes, shoes etc and make/grow/bake all we can, as well as making all our own cleaning products.. but.. we seem to fritter away money without giving thought to where it is going and we want to change that.

We also have TOO much stuff. Several international moves have seen us collect quite a lot of 'crap' a long the way. We have three crockpots, two rice cookers, two blenders.... you get the picture!

I'm ashamed to say we have about a dozen unpacked shipping boxes still in our garage. (oh the shame!).We spend so much wasted time trying to find things we've misplaced or money replacing lost items that then turn up. I'm sure we are not alone in this consumer driven society of ours.

We really want to simplify our lives and cut the clutter in our physical world as well as how it clutters up our brains.

This is a far cry from the me who used to love shopping. I somehow thought that trading in my 'mall' shopping with Op shopping was better... but alas, crap is crap is crap. Where-ever you buy it, if you don't need it. I am also aware that my spending was to fill a gap, and I need to work on how to fill that in other ways.

So there you have it, a month with no non-essential spending. We'll still be buying food, petrol etc. the essentials only.

More than anything this month I hope we become more aware of how we are spending the hard earned money we make because our time is precious and who wants to waste an hour at work so we can buy a magazine or two??




11 comments:

Miriam said...

good for you! Perhaps during the month you could also sell some of your doubles or even give them away so you wont just be saving you might also be making - money and less clutter! :o) I already need to do a de-crap here although there are other things I no longer own and would really like to. Gumtree here I come!

Hootnz said...

Good on you for making a change! I wish you all the best in your challenge! And I totally like Miriam's suggestion of selling the double ups....maybe a garage sale! That could be fun!

Cat said...

I look forward to reading / sharing your journey !!!

Little Gumnut said...

Well done! Looking forward to reading how you go! Are clothes counted as essentials? Kids shoes? Uniforms?

Elizabeth Collins said...

We're totally doing the same thing at the moment, not quite as intentionally as you; but almost! With the big move imminent we're saving as hard as possible (want to buy as soon as practical), and have had to take a good LONG hard look at our spending habits also - they were not pretty either, and very similar. We didn't buy a lot, and nothing big - but money just got frittered away and before we knew it, we'd blown the budget yet again! It's hard, but it's worth it - I'm looking forward to sharing your journey with you.

Stacia said...

Very inspiring post Leonie,, my own thoughts about this echo all your sentiments. We have spent the last couple of years de-cluttering our life and have got rid of so much stuff but my urge to shop and acquire things I don't truly need is strong. I have been decluttering my daughters wardrobe lately and had moments of feeling utterly sick at the amount and cost of the clothes she has, partly bought by me and contributed to by family. This post could not have come at a better time because today we actually paid off all of our consumer debt, it is a great feeling but we just have to make sure we keep the clean slate going forward. Cash only from now on, see it, like it, walk away and reminding myself I don't need and can't have everything I want.

Everyday Things said...

I hear you... I also fell into the op shop buying trap, and youre so right crap is crap from wherever you buy it from! cant wait to hear your progress and keep us posted!

Simoney said...

What a great Challenge!
And I wonder what is in those boxes???
xx

Leonie said...

Crap is crap! Hope you guys get there - it feels so good when you do! We've been on a non-essential binge for a few months and man it is super liberating! You can do it!!

Marie Turner said...

I love this idea. I'm going go try give it a go too! Definitely an area of my life I need more control in!

Gill @ Mudbird Ceramics said...

Great post, great motivation! I haven't officially 'said it out loud' but I'm going to aim for the same. Day 5... No spending, no op shops!